The PointsBet Canada Website is being offered by PointsBet as part of the open and regulated iGaming market conducted and managed by iGaming Ontario (igamingontario.ca/en). In the course of providing the services: (i) PointsBet collects, uses and discloses personal information on behalf of and as agent to iGaming Ontario; (ii) PointsBet collects personal information in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (“FIPPA”) and other applicable privacy laws, and under the authority of Ontario Regulation 722/21 made under the Alcohol and Gaming Commission, and the operating agreement entered into between PointsBet and iGaming Ontario.
Personal information under this policy means information about an identifiable individual and includes any information that constitutes personal information within the meaning of FIPPA and other applicable privacy laws.
The kinds of personal information that PointsBet Canada may collect from you are:
- Name and contact information, including email address and telephone number
- Home address
- Date of birth
- Location and related geolocation information
- Photographs or images
- Financial information including bank account and credit card information
- Other identity verification information (i.e. government-issued identifiers such as driver’s license, email address, phone number, credit file)
- Your betting information with us (including self-exclusion and responsible gambling information)
- Correspondence to and from you such as emails and live chat
- Information we may collect as part of a survey, customer feedback request or a contest/competition you participate in
- Your application for employment
- Data regarding your use of our websites and apps using tracking technologies, including the type of device hardware and operating system, unique device identiﬁer, IP address, language settings, and the date and time the app accesses our servers.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
PointsBet Canada will collect your personal information only by lawful and fair means (and not in an intrusive way) to operate its business as a licensed iGaming operator for the following purposes:
- at your choice, to subscribe to the PointsBet Canada weekly newsletter,
- to process your request to establish an account with PointsBet Canada to use its platform (“Member”),
- to provide services and other product offerings to you as a Member,
- to identify you as a Member for security purposes and to comply with our legal obligations,
- to maintain your Member betting account,
- to upgrade and enhance your experience within the PointsBet Canada Website or over the telephone, or to tailor or develop information, services or products to suit your needs which may include market research and conducting promotions,
- to tell you about our products or services that we think may be of interest to you by communicating with you via email, SMS or telephone,
- to create aggregate data about Members through demographic profiling, statistical analysis of the database to provide to potential and existing stakeholders, and to allow for more efficient operation of PointsBet Canada's business,
- to determine Members’ liability to pay sales, goods and services tax and other taxes, where applicable,
- to monitor any activity that we might consider unusual or irregular,
- to detect and monitor the location of Members attempting to place bets, periodically monitor transactions on accounts and conduct subsequent location checks to ensure Members are playing in a province where PointsBet Canada is licensed to operate and offer its iGaming services (e.g. Members registered in the Province of Ontario are playing within the Province of Ontario),
- to verify that you are eligible to use or otherwise participate in and/or receive our services and promotional offers,
- to comply with PointsBet Canada's legal and statutory obligations and policies including but not limited to our Anti-Money Laundering Policy including in particular in relation to customer identity verification and reporting obligations imposed by the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act (“PCMLTFA”) or to prevent extra-territorial use of our gaming services. Such information is collected on behalf of iGaming Ontario and may be shared with other operators as part of enterprise level player monitoring,
- for taking appropriate action if PointsBet Canada has reason to suspect that unlawful activity or misconduct has been, is being or may be engaged in that relates to our products, services, functions and/or activities,
- to establish, exercise and/or defend any legal claims, and
- manage and respond to job applications.
If you do not provide PointsBet Canada with the personal information we request, we may be unable to process your application to become a Member, provide you with our services or respond to your enquiry or complaint.
We may use third-parties on our PointsBet Canada Website including but not limited to serve ads, as allowed by applicable laws. These companies may employ cookies and action tags (also known as single pixel gifs or web beacons) to measure advertising effectiveness. You may set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie or to not accept certain cookies. However, if you decide not to accept cookies from the PointsBet Canada Website, you may not be able to take advantage of all the website features.
DIRECT MARKETING AND OPTING OUT
When registering as a Member, you will have the option to sign up to receive promotional or marketing information from PointsBet Canada by selecting the appropriate option on the registration page. In that case, from time to time we may use your personal information to inform you about PointsBet Canada's products or services or about promotional activities which PointsBet Canada believes may be of interest or of benefit to you. We may do this via email, SMS, telephone or mail.
If you no longer wish to receive marketing or promotional material from PointsBet Canada at all or in any particular form, an unsubscribe link is located at the bottom of the promotional or marketing material. You may also contact us at any time by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request, which we will comply with as soon as is practicable.
From time to time we may contact you in relation to the management and administration of your PointsBet Canada account. These communications can be via any of the modes of contact recorded when you register as a member. Such communication does not affect your opt-in or opt-out status for direct marketing communications.
STORAGE AND RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- PointsBet Canada will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information which it collects, uses or discloses is correct and is stored in a secure environment which is accessed only by authorized persons.
- PointsBet Canada has record retention processes designed to retain personal information for no longer than necessary for the purpose set out herein or as otherwise required to meet legal, regulatory or business requirements. PointsBet Canada will destroy or permanently de-identify the personal information we hold when it is no longer required for any purpose.
USE BY THIRD PARTIES
PointsBet Canada does not sell or disclose your personal information to third parties without your consent, except as set forth below or as required or permitted by law. Subject to applicable laws, personal information collected by PointsBet Canada may be shared with a third party in the following circumstances:
- With service providers to provide you with the services or support/information you have requested including hosting the PointsBet Canada Website, or services and data analysis designed to improve the services provided and/or made available to you as a Member. We will also share your personal information with a third party service provider for the purpose of verifying your identity on PointsBet Canada behalf in order to comply with our anti-money laundering obligations under applicable law. Our service providers are only provided with the information they need to perform their designated functions and are not authorized to use or disclose personal information for their own marketing or other purposes. Our service providers may be located in the U.S., Canada or other foreign jurisdictions.
- for any other purpose related to the purposes for which your personal information was collected as described in this policy which you would reasonably expect or which has been otherwise notified to you,
- the third parties or classes of third parties that PointsBet Canada has at the time of collection informed you of,
- to enable PointsBet Canada to participate in activities with business partners and sponsors, who will be notified to you at the time your personal information is collected,
- your personal information may be disclosed by PointsBet Canada or its service providers in response to a search warrant to other legally valid inquiry or order, or to another organization for the purposes of investigating a breach of an agreement or contravention of law or detecting, suppressing or preventing fraud, or as otherwise may be required or authorized by law or regulatory authority, which may include lawful access by Canadian or foreign courts, law enforcement or other government authorities,
- where your personal information is transferred as an asset in connection with a proposed or completed merger, acquisition or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of PointsBet Canada or as part of a corporate reorganization or other change in corporate control,
- to protect and maintain the integrity of particular sports/racing codes by assisting relevant provincial and federal regulatory bodies, or other government entities in their inquiries or notifying such bodies of any activity PointsBet Canada considers to be unusual or suspicious,
- to enable PointsBet Canada to comply with its responsible gambling obligations including under any best practice national policies and/or guidelines,
- where you have consented to its disclosure either expressly or by the circumstances and your conduct, and
- PointsBet Canada will take all reasonable steps to ensure that any personal information which PointsBet Canada discloses to a third party is protected by that party.
SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
You acknowledge that no data transmission over the Internet is totally secure. Accordingly, PointsBet Canada does not warrant the security of any information which you transmit to it. Any information which you transmit to PointsBet Canada is transmitted at your own risk. However, once PointsBet Canada receives your transmission, PointsBet Canada has implemented reasonable administrative, technical and physical measures to protect your personal information in our custody and control from misuse, loss and unauthorized access, modification and disclosure including by using password protected systems and databases and Secure Socket Layer (“SSL”) technology.
PointsBet Canada employees, agents and contractors have restricted access to personal information on a need-to-know basis and are required to maintain the confidentiality of Members’ personal information and trading behavior.
PointsBet Canada maintains an incident breach management plan and program. We will provide you notice in the event of an incident that materially impacts your personal information (a “Data Incident”). We will notify you, iGaming Ontario, and any other applicable regulatory authority about the Data Incident, and we will aid iGaming Ontario and any other applicable authorities in the management and handling of the Data Incident.
Information posted on bulletin boards or communicated within a social media environment (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, chat rooms, etc.) becomes public information. PointsBet Canada cannot guarantee the security of this type of disclosed information.
- Remember to always log out of your account when you have completed your time on the PointsBet Canada Website. This is particularly important if you share a computer with another person. You are responsible for the security of and access to your own computer, mobile device or any other handset used to access the website.
- You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your username, password and any account information. Please be careful whenever using the Internet and the PointsBet Canada Website.
- We will never ask you for your password in any unsolicited communication (such as letters, phone calls or email messages). If you become aware of any unauthorized access to or use of your account, you are required to notify us immediately.
For general information on how to protect your information online, please refer to the resources posted by the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario at ipc.on.ca/privacy-individuals/ensuring-your-privacy-is-protected/.
PRIVACY FOR MINORS
We take seriously the responsibility to exclude children from access to our services. We will not accept information of anyone under the age of 19 for the purposes of opening a wagering account. It is, however, ultimately the responsibility of parents or guardians to monitor their children’s Internet activities including where appropriate by using Internet screening software. If a parent becomes aware that their child has provided us with information, they may contact us at our contact information set out below to have such information deleted.
ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
Subject to applicable law, you have the right to access your personal information collected by PointsBet Canada by following the “My Account” link on the PointsBet Canada Website or by emailing the Customer Service team at email@example.com. We will give you access to your personal information in the manner requested if that is possible and within a reasonable period. If we refuse your request or cannot give you access in the manner you have requested, we will do what we can to meet your requirements by other means. We may not be required to give you access to your personal information in certain circumstances including where it may have an unreasonable impact on another individual’s privacy. If we refuse access for such reasons, we will advise you by email of the refusal and our reasons and the complaint mechanisms available to you. We may request certain personal information for the purpose of verifying the identity of the individual seeking access to his or her personal information records.
CORRECTION AND CONTINUOUS UPDATING OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- PointsBet Canada takes reasonable measures to ensure that personal information which it collects is accurate, complete and current. Also, when PointsBet Canada uses and discloses personal information, PointsBet Canada takes reasonable measures to ensure that it is relevant, having regard to the purpose for which it is being used or disclosed. We will take reasonable measures to correct personal information if we are satisfied that it should be corrected. We may contact you on a periodic basis to seek the most up-to-date information from you.
- If you believe that the personal information PointsBet Canada holds about you is inaccurate, incomplete or not current, please let PointsBet Canada know and we will correct it if we are satisfied that a correction is required.
- We ask that you update your information through your account whenever your information is incomplete, out-of-date or otherwise changed. Personal information can be updated or corrected by you in the “My Account” section of the website at any time after you log in. Subject to identity verification, personal information can also be updated or corrected by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Details of your betting transactions can be also found in the “Transaction History” section of the Member Services section of the website.
If you have any queries, requests for access or correction relating to the handling of your personal information or privacy concerns, please contact us at email@example.com addressed to the attention of “VP – Legal, Compliance and People”.
If you wish to make a complaint, please contact us via one of the following complaints submission methods: a) live chat, b) email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or c) via telephone at 1-833-441-1940. You can find more information regarding our complaints process on the “Player Protection” page of the PointsBet Canada Website.
Last updated: February 2022